Carbon reduce/CEMARS certification
We have been CEMARS certified since 2012. CEMARS certification (Certified Emissions Measurement And Reduction Scheme) tracks how we measure, manage and reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
The scheme was developed by Landcare Research New Zealand and is the first GHG certification scheme in the world to achieve international accreditation. We’ve chosen to use the CEMARS certification to give independent assurance that we are working to minimise our impacts on climate change.
How we became certified
The general process for achieving certification begins with registering on the programme and conducting a measurement or carbon footprint in accordance with the programme requirements. Once this is done a management plan for managing and reducing emissions is developed. Verification is then conducted to verify that the measurement and management plan meets the programme standards, and is an essential part of certification. Following verification, a certification decision is made and the certificate issued. An annual measurement and verification is conducted to ensure the certification remains valid and accurately reflects the nature of the organisation over time.
We are committed to sustainability and environmental management and as part of the certification requirements, has developed an Emissions Management and Reduction Plan. As part of that plan, Council adopted a 2021/22 target of reducing its operational carbon footprint to 80% of the 2009/10 baseline level.
Some projects in this plan include:
- Reducing sewage sludge emissions
- Investigating using wood fuel at our pools
- Deploying LED streetlights
- Using woodchip fuel at Waste Water Treatment Plant
- Improving efficiency in vehicles and buildings
For information on progress and activities undertaken see the related documents and links below.
CEMARS case study video
All documents are in PDF format and available for download or print from the links below:
- CEMARS Carbon and Energy Management Plan
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2009/10
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2010/11
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2011/12
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2012/13
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2013/14
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2014/15
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2015/16
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2016/17
- CEMARS GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2017/18
- Toitū Carbon Reduce GHG Emissions Inventory Report 2018/19
- Council and CEMARS - frequently asked questions