It is important for us to know how residents feel about our performance over a range of services and activities.
The results of our survey are a key part of how we assess our performance at the Council. Targets are set in many areas through our long term and annual planning process and results form part of our annual report each year.
Independent research company Research First conducts our residents' survey with a statistically representative sample Kāpiti residents to establish levels of satisfaction with a selection of council’s services and activities. Research First carries out similar surveys for other local authorities in New Zealand.
Our latest survey:
Summary of results
The 2017 residents' opinion survey shows satisfaction of local residents with the Kapiti Coast District Council’s performance is continuing to improve.
Key results from our survey include:
- Feedback in the telephone survey of over 400 residents and ratepayers shows that 82 percent of those with an opinion were either satisfied or very satisfied with Council performance and its services and facilities*. The satisfaction level is up from 79 percent last year and 74 percent in 2015.
- Benchmarking measures in the report show the Council is performing well when compared with districts with similar characteristics, such as population size and density.
- The level of satisfaction with how we respond to queries is steady, with people particularly satisfied that the Council was easy to contact and understood well their issues.
- Satisfaction with water quality has seen another significant increase in the past year, up 13 percent to 81 percent. This reflects the effect of the river recharge scheme, which has meant no bore water has been used in drinking water over the past two summers.
- The opening of the first stage of the Expressway has seen satisfaction with ease of movement on local roads bounce back from last year’s 6 percent drop, making a 13 percent gain to 74 percent.
- High levels of satisfaction with Council services such as libraries and swimming pools have continued, with satisfaction of 99 percent and 94 percent respectively.
* Our survey uses adjusted satisfaction scores. This is the percentage of people that are either satisfied or very satisfied as a proportion of those that expressed a clear opinion on the question. People who responded that they didn’t know or are neither satisfied nor dissatisfied are not included in this measure. Full details of all responses are in the Resident Satisfaction Survey document.