Draft plan change 2: Intensification
The Draft Proposed Plan Change 2 (PC2) to the Operative Kapiti Coast District Plan 2021 (District Plan) is the first version of our “intensification planning instrument”.
These draft changes respond to central government direction and are our first step towards implementing our new Growth Strategy, Te Tupu Pai.
Draft plan change 2 includes amendments to the District Plan designed to:
- incorporate the Government’s Medium Density Residential Standards (MDRS) enabling the construction and use of up to three dwellings of three storeys high on most residential sites
- give effect to the Government’s National Policy Statement for Urban Development 2020 Policy 3, which requires further intensification within or around urban centres and rapid transit stops
Feedback on the draft plan change 2 closed at 5pm, Monday 2 May.
We'll be carrying out public notification and formal consultation on the proposed plan change 2 in July/August 2022 (to be confirmed).
- clarify the “qualifying matters” that may limit intensification on some sites
- rezone some small areas within or next to existing urban areas for future residential use
- enable papakāinga development
- amend financial contributions provisions.
We're taking the extra step of seeking feedback on a ‘draft’ of PC2 (this consultation) to raise awareness that these changes to the District Plan are under development, and to provide an early opportunity for anyone to share their views about the draft changes. We'll formally notify and consult on the next version (the ‘proposed’ plan change) before the 20 August 2022 statutory deadline.
Note: “draft” plan changes are not Council policy and do not have any legal effect.
Plan change documents
The plan change documents are:
- Proposed Intensification Plan Change – draft[PDF 2.76 MB]
- Appendix A: Proposed New Areas of General Residential Zone[PDF 1.27 MB]
- Appendix B: Proposed New Wāhi Tapu Areas[PDF 1.04 MB]
- Appendix C: Proposed Residential Design Guide[PDF 6.61 MB]
- Appendix D: Proposed Centres Design Guide[PDF 7.24 MB]
- Appendix E: Proposed Amendments to the District Plan Maps
- Appendix F: Tracked Changes Versions of the General Residential Zone and Subdivision in Residential Zones Chapters[PDF 1016 KB].
Feedback on the draft plan change 2 closed at 5pm, Monday 2 May. You can see more of the information we shared at Have your say.
- Have your say – Draft Plan Change 2: Intensification
- Council strategies (including District Growth Strategy)
- National Policy Statement on Urban Development (NPS-UD) – Ministry for the Environment
- Resource Management (Enabling Housing Supply and Other Matters) Amendment Act 2021 – legislation.govt.nz